- This event has passed.
1st CMMA / MOCA Conference
September 15, 2015 @ 12:00 pm - September 21, 2015 @ 2:00 pm
1st Annual international conference between CMMA and MOCA
Members of China Magnesite Materials Association will join the Magnesium Oxide Cement Association to educate and advance building science with MgO boards. Plan to attend this first-ever event with keynotes, seminars, and on-site visits, followed by two days of networking to build new relationships and move the industry forward.
- Dr Jon Makar, NRC Construction Lead MgO Scientist. Presentation – Qualifying New Magnesium Oxychloride Products for National Building Code of Canada Compliance
- Dr Fitsum Tariku presenting his research on the potential of magnesium oxychloride board to modulate indoor humidity.
- Prof Greg Dipple & Ian Power presenting their paper “Assessing the carbon sequestration potential of magnesium oxychloride cement boards“
- Mike VanGeyn, Fire code specialist
- Building code presentation
Tues Sept 15th
12 Noon Pick up CMMA FROM YVR Airport & drop off at Air B & B in Richmond
4 PM Opening presentation by Peter Francis welcoming group from China, introducing the local team and resources, outlining goals and schedule for the week held at the Executive Airport Plaza Hotel.
1. Educate suppliers on the demand for consistent quality that surpasses test requirements.
2. Demonstrate local construction methods and systems including the requirement to meet all building codes and the reliance on third party testing to prove compliance.
3. Introduce suppliers to potential customers while demonstrating the market for MgO boards.
4. Develop relationships between research facilities in Canada and China in order to better regulate the products and develop new materials better able to sell in these markets.
5. Sign agreement with CMMA including MOCA standard and MOCA / WH branding.
6 PM Dinner at Sushi King, 8176 Granville St.
Wed Sept 16th
Breakfast in hotel.
MORNING LOCATION – HOTEL
Mike VanGeyn will provide the broad strokes about the building code, where it came from, how it operates, how to prove compliance. Combustible vs non-combustible construction. He will also discuss the benefits of group testing and certification.
12 noon lunch at FLO Tearoom.
Site visit to the single family construction site.
4 PM Visit Signal Warehouse and MagO Factory.
Dinner at Mediterranean Grill.
Thurs Sept 17th
Breakfast in hotel.
MORNING LOCATION – INTERTEK
9 AM Travel to Intertek for tour of facility and presentation by Intertek on testing procedures, building codes, plant certifications.
11 AM Julie fro Ecospex
12 Noon Pizza and sandwiches at Intertek.
Visit to a Home Depot or other building supply yard.
Option to visit University of BC to learn about recent research on carbonization of MgO cement boards by Prof Dipple and Ian Power
5 PM Visit Queen Elizabeth Park
Dinner at Tropika
Fri Sept 18th
Breakfast in hotel
9 AM Open House Visits
11 AM Construction Site Visits
12 Noon Lunch at FLO Tearoom
AFTERNOON LOCATION – HOTEL
Presentation by Dr Jon Makar on MgO cement boards and acceptance into National Building Code. Jon is the lead scientist at NRC and will discuss the process to have materials widely accepted using CCMC (Canada Construction Materials Council) approvals
Jon will discuss:
- The role of the Canadian Construction Materials Centre in the building regulatory system; The process for getting CCMC evaluations done;
- How and why Technical Guides are developed;
- Types of MgOCl board products that have been proposed to CCMC and the issues that would need to be explored to write a Technical Guide for testing to successfully meet CCMC requirements; and
- Quality control and other critical issues.
4 PM Drinks at Hotel
Dinner at Siddharthas Kitchen
Sat Sept 19th
Breakfast in hotel
12 Noon Lunch at FLO Tearom AFTERNOON LOCATION – HOTEL
MOCA AGM agenda: Discussion on charter.
Adoption of Charter with or without edits.
Election or selection of administrator, financial manager, tech committee.
Discussion on MOCA projects outlined above including agreement with CMMA.
Acceptance of MOCA projects as discussed.
Schedule next web based meeting, face to face meeting.
Any other business.
4 PM Cocktails
5 PM Networking
6 PM GALA DINNER at Executive Hotel
Sun Sept 20th
9 AM Stanley Park
12 Noon Granville Island
3 PM Suspension Bridge
Dinner at Kirin
Mon Sept 21st
Pack and Airport
For more details please see the Conference Agenda
To register please contact Peter Francis at 604.290.1961 or firstname.lastname@example.org